Monday, October 3, 2011

Planes, Brains and Automobiles

Saturday, we hit the highly anticipated Mira Mesa Air Show.  Having being oooh'ed and aaah'ed by the rodeo the previous week I was looking forward to something really special.  At the same time we had opted for the twilight show so I felt I had lowered my expectations in an appropriate manner.  I mean I know those guys are good but how creative can you be when it's dark?!? (Airshow Andy, I was talking about the airshow).  Well the answer came quite quickly in the form of miniscule flashing lights and the equivalent of a child's sparkler attached to otherwise invisible paratroopers.  Dis-as-ter !  Suckiest air show ever (though the truth be known it was my first - and definitely last).  If you closed your eyes and just listened to the - yet another production line DJ voiced - MC, then you could have convinced yourself that it was as exciting as waiting for the sixth installment of 'Fast and Furious' to be released on Blu-ray (oh - feel the sarcasm Luke); only to open your eyes and realise that it was about as exciting as a colonoscopy.  In fairness though, they must have saved everything (budget wise) until the bitter end because the final fireworks display was enough to envy EVEN the world renowned Wexford Opera Festival.  At that point however we were well on our way back to the car so that doesn't count on my card.

Remember the pure joy I felt at passing the 'behind the wheel' exam last Wednesday.  Well Friday that was short lived when I accidently discovered via via that I should have gone back into the DMV office to register said blissful results.  Did the guy tell me that - no !  I mean he was the one that pointed out before I even started the engine that he didn't care if I was able to drive outside the US; no, this test was to make sure I could drive safely according to the California Highway Code - and that he was in a good enough humour to acknowledge that.  In all fairness, he could have probably made the quantum leap all by himself to the realisation that I had never done this before so some tips about the process would have helped.  In any case, I headed back today with my head hung low in shame in order to rectify things.  The lady behind the counter was very helpful but insisted on trying to parallel process everyone and whilst doing so explaining at the top of her voice to everyone else in the office what I was in for.  Like thanks and stuff lady !  A good 9.3 on the muppet-ometer for me.

In keeping with the whole transport theme we're now sorted in terms of wheels.  Alma has her 1994 BMW 3 series convertible and only last Friday the lease tank ... er I mean car came in.


From the above photo, you'd almost think that the BMW is longer - but trust me - it's not !  The photo below gives a little better perspective on things.  The little kid in front is Alma for those of you who didn't look carefully enough.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks William for teaching me new words: "suckiest show ever"
    I guess you do the same as I do all day: make up some words, combine them and say as if there normal words.
    "this is the awesomest blog ever"

    ReplyDelete